The National Curriculum Languages Programme of Study for Key Stage 2 (2014) forms the root of BHTP's MfL Curriculum. and from this documentation, our MfL curriculum has been devised and developed in line with our vision, aims and values. We use La Jolie Ronde scheme of work to support our delivery and believe that this is ideal for non-specialist teachers but personalise the lessons to our school community.
Our MfL Curriculum is underpinned by the National Curriculum's languages aims to ensure that all pupils should be taught to:
- listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others; seek clarification and help*
- speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
- develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases*
- present ideas and information orally to a range of audiences*
- read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing
- appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language
- broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly
- describe people, places, things and actions orally* and in writing Languages – Key Stage 2&3
- understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied, including (where relevant): feminine, masculine and neuter forms and the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language; how to apply these, for instance, to build sentences; and how these differ from or are similar to English.
Learning a foreign language is a liberation from insularity and provides an opening to other cultures. A high-quality languages education should foster pupils’ curiosity and deepen their understanding of the world. DfE 2013
La Jolie Ronde - ¡Los niños de BHTP (KS2) aprenden español!
Year 3 to 6 Overview